Tuesday 12 March 2013

Close up with Cyrielle Pailloux


                                                              "Less is more... sometimes."

 
Let us introduce to you, Cyrielle Pailloux, a 26 year old Make Up artist who moved to the UK in 2005 to pursue a career in Theatre Designs. After securing a place at the University of Leeds, she graduated in Performance Design and has never looked back. For a year and a half, she worked as a trainee project/stage manager and has now found herself working as a freelance make- up artist. Passion is evident in her as she is now undergoing a part time media makeup course to broaden her many skills.

In a Brief interview with her, here's what she had to say.

 Tell us a bit about yourself.

I have been interested in the Arts and Dance since I was a little girl and undertook ballet and contemporary lessons since I was 4. I got involved in a musical at the age of 16 as a dancer and gradually evolved to also being Hair and Makeup Artist when the professional Makeup team left. I have been doing the hair and makeup for my old dance school ever since. I have a lot of experience in stage and production makeup such as musicals like 'Les Misérables', 'Martin Guerre', 'Guys & Dolls', and dance productions. I have also worked on photo shoots, fashion show, music video and TV commercials.


What kind of products do you use and why?
I use a lot of the Illamasqua products which are all about colours and making a statement, especially the new collection I'mperfection. Their foundations are some of the best I've worked with especially for photo shoots and Catwalks. It is perfect with the type of lighting used. I also use quite a few of the Sleek colour palettes and colour pigments which I think stand out extremely well on any skin types and really have that wow factor that you look for with any products.

 
What has been the hardest challenge you have faced?
 
The hardest challenge in this industry is the constant competition between makeup artists. I have a lot of friends who are makeup artists like me, with or without experience, and a lot see each other as competition which can turn into a really nasty and backstabbing business rather than trying to help each other out.

What is your favourite type of Makeup Artistry?
 
I would say that my preferred makeup style/artistry is special effect makeup whether it is fantasy or horror, involving latex, prosthetic, burns, masks, etc. I also really like glamorous and feminine makeup style such as 1940s - 1950s where women looked really sophisticated.

 
What has been the greatest highlight and low light of your career?

One of my greatest highlight in my career so far would be when I worked on 'Les Misérables' with a French company in 2008 - 2009. It is one of my favourite musicals and doing the makeup for it was just incredible. It involved so many different techniques and styles: natural look, prostitutes, scruffy and dirty, drunk, wounds and ageing (throughout the performance). It really was a wonderful experience and a great crew as well.
I honestly cannot think a low light so far. Each experience I has been rewarding and interesting in different ways.


Any bit of advice or tips you can give our members?
 Listen to what the designer or photographer needs/wants... don't always try to do big, bold and flashy makeup because you want to impress and think it will make you stand out from the crowd. The photographer/designer will only use you again if you truly listen to what HE/SHE wants and portray it how he/she wants it. Less is more sometimes.


 

Do you have any questions for Cyrielle? come and meet her at our next Event
or to view her full portfolio, vist her at her profile at
 









 

No comments:

Post a Comment