Friday 28 June 2013

What the Goff? - By Romy Newman




"Close some doors so some will open,

change your course as some are broken,


trying to find another way,


to reach that long awaited day" - Snakes and Ladders


25 year old Tony Goff blasted onto the scene with the constant support from his fans and our audience, who mere seconds from announcing the winner of the Be On The Scene Music contest, were on the edge of their seats, waiting to see his name announced. And after weeks of hard work, dedication and pure willingness to go the extra mile and getting everyone he knew to support him, his song Snakes and Ladders saw him through, with over 3000 votes. 

On a Monday afternoon, I was pleased to spend some time with him discussing everything about Tony Goff, from early life to dreams and aspirations. Just like his music, he was perfectly cool and charming with the positive personality that shines through his music. We begin our interview:

BOTS: Tony, First off, big congratulations to you for winning our contest. It was great to listen to your music and seeing the progress you made in each round. Perhaps you could take me back to where it all began? You were very young when you first started playing music and have been in a few bands, since going solo. Talk me through the process of how and when you decided to go solo and why you chose a guitar?

TG: 'From about the age of 12- 13 I was more of a sports fanatic and unfortunately I injured myself and to pass my time the guitar felt right and from being in the band ‘The Spartans’, I got a bit of inspiration and I liked the way the guitar sounded and I went from there. At 13 I started playing guitar seriously then at the age of 15 I started singing.It wasn’t too good at the time, but it was great practice, a bit of fun and a big release for me. It is always great to get emotions out that way, it made sense to me.'


'Going from a band to a solo artist was a big and shocking move and after being together for four years, one tends to get comfortable and secure. The band meant a lot to me and when it ended I just had to look at the positives. I had to keep on writing and I wanted to meet new musicians and that’s why I decided to do a new project.  It was such a big move, but an enjoyable experience too and that’s why I decided to record with a full band again.'

BOTS: You write your own songs, so take me through the process of the writing and what you draw inspiration from.

TG: 'I still haven’t figured it out, I can’t just say: right, I’m going to sit down with a pen a paper and start scribbling out a song, it does just happen and it is very much situational. So whatever negative or positive thing that happens in my day, influences what I write about. It takes a while. I wrote a tune a few weeks ago as I was feeling a bit stressed, but this is how things go for me really.'
BOTS: A particular song stands out called Snakes And Ladders that have an amazing collection of metaphors that create a vivid and visual depiction of life. Tell me about what was going on there.

TG: 'Well I work in a bar and it was a situation that got me. It wasn’t negative, rather comical, so I thought of it as passing time and it took me about 20-25min to write it down. I liked the idea of life being like a board game. It was an idea and I thought I could have a bit of fun with it.'

BOTS: Through fate we met, but tell me about the process of being approached on the internet to entering the competition and eventually taking the crown, so to speak.

TG: 'Well, as a musician you get approached quite a bit for these kinds of things, and you develop an ear or an eye for which ones are beneficial and which ones are genuine. You guys were very genuine on your approach and you were very helpful in explaining what it was. All in all it was great fun to be a part of the contest and get to hear all the other great artists. It’s a lot of work being in these competitions, but if you are willing to put the work in, it really pays off in the end. You can’t just sit back and wait for things to happen. It’s a lot of self- promotion. Friends and family are the best and having a strong support system is also very important.'

BOTS: What do you think are the biggest challenges you have faced being an artist and what goals have you set for yourself?

TG: 'Well, being a musician is a challenge itself and getting the exposure that you need is the challenge but, through all the steps and obstacles I’ve learnt so much and met great people along the way. It’s Important to know that if you keep pushing, more doors open for you. Obviously I’m trying to get some backing for the album from investors or anything that can help me break into the market. I do believe I have loads of talent, but the hardest part is just getting it out there. Having the time and finances to help promote yourself is important, and to get ahead, you just have keep at it.'

'Goals I have set for the end of the year would be to get the release clean and polished. It should be out by late September. I would like a few of my music videos to be backed and I would love to hear more feedback on my work and perhaps be on the bill for a few major festivals next year. That’s the aim.'

'In saying this, I’m not going to sit back and say, this is what I definitely going to happen, but I am just going to keep on working hard to achieve that. Take it as far as I can, that’s the objective.'

BOTS: Talk me through the process and style of the way you have presented your music videos. Two in particular, Snakes and ladders and Signs are done on a small HD camera. Was it intentional as you want to showcase your more organic homegrown style, or ….

TG: 'Well first off I wouldn’t be able to do it without the dedicated team behind me and everyone was doing non paid work. I paid for decent logos and what not, but the video was taken out of Mikey Lynches own time, purely as he believes in me and what I am trying to achieve. He managed to get me a studio to shoot the video and shoots all the videos. There had been a few people that have helped me along the way such as Oscar Pelaez who has helped me a lot with backing and put me in front of the right people. Laura Maguire put me in touch with you and helps me secure gigs in Liverpool.'


BOTS: If I had to open up your laptop and go through your music playlists, what would I find?

TG: 'You could find stuff dating back to when I was 14/15, I really have to update my playlists as I have a lot of music. I love indie stuff and I used to be into more heavy stuff, so you would probably find a bit more heavy rock now, but that’s not what I am really into at the moment. I’m into more acoustic and electro swing. I have a wide range of music and I like it all. My favourites at the moment are Paulo Ntuni and Parov Stellar Band.'

BOTS: Touching on that subject, you maintain a good image online, most comments and posts are very clean and you seem to have a good handle on that. Is this difficult to maintain being in the music industry where people can be very brutal and harsh as they can hide behind a computer screen?

TG: 'Well, sending the wrong message out can make or break your career. In terms of positivity that will come through the music. I don’t really write sad, down tempo songs. I don’t want to sell myself like that, or to go on the path of being the next Ben Howard. There have been some critics, mainly telling me that the sound quality isn’t good on a particular song, but that’s not negative is it? That can only help me improve. Keep in mind when I am filming my videos on a small HD camera with no other equipment especially outside where I can’t control traffic or background noises, what is one to expect?  I don’t really get anyone saying horrible stuff and even if they don’t like my style of music, they generally say ‘well you gave it a go’

BOTS: In a previous interview you mentioned the meaning behind your titled EP Butterflies and compromises, is all about relationships. What songs can we expect to hear on your EP and what are the release dates?

TG: 'Well the single ‘snakes and ladders' will be released in July, single signs in August and the full EP in Late September
Songs that have been chosen are Snakes and ladders, Signs, the self-titled Butterflies And Compromises and False Delights for now, there might be a fifth so keep posted.'

BOTS:  How have you found the recording process?

TG: 'It has been a pricey affair, but I’ve met some amazing producers and I am going to be recording at fortress studios where ‘Young Guns’ recorded their first album and ‘You Me At Six'. But regardless of financials, I’ve learnt so much from the producers. The songs are sounding very tight and crisp. The recording is a complete package and the people I have been working with know how to make a song sell-able and fit for the market. I really enjoy recording there.

The EP is going to sound amazing. It is a lot of work and I’m really excited about it, but that has also meant I have missed out on a lot of social engagements and time with my friends, but if you want to make it, you do what you got to do. I’ve tried to release so many EPs/albums in the past without success, but I just had to learn from my mistakes and save the pennies and the pounds! I am always going to play my music so everything and every day is a learning curve. This is all I want to do. Music is my main passion and my first choice. I’m a realist at the end of the day and I will work to the bone to get this right.'

In the corner I notice Jackson Stockbridge, a guitarist for Tony. I asked him his thoughts on working with him and the outcome of the contest.

TG: 'I was really pleased for him. I’ve been working with tony for a long time and have learnt so much from him and I knew he would do well in the competition as he put so much work into it. So much stuff is going really well for him.'

BOTS: Tony, you beat a lot of people and took the ‘crown’ with over 3000 votes, how do you feel about that?

TG: 'Well obviously I am really pleased and I realized that I am really good at self-promoting. If I wasn’t a musician I think I would be a promoter.'

 Jackson- 'No one works harder than Tony'

Tony- 'I believe that if you help people out, they are always willing to help you. Over the past 13 years of playing music, I have met the most incredible people that have lent a helping hand when I have needed it.'

BOTS: You have been getting a lot of interest for air play and feature slots on radio shows, such as Radio Prudhoe and now BBC in July, how did you get the radio shows interested in playing your music?


TG: 'I always submit my music but then again a lot of the presenters have just generally been supporting me from the very start and the other bands I have played in, so that is lucky. And the gentleman from Radio Prudhoe has introduced us to a lot of good people who are great at supporting us. You also have really supportive people that submit on your behalf.  You have to grow your support network.'

Our interview has come to an end and a full band practice is about to go underway, so time for one quick last question…
If you could go back in time and visit your 15 year old self. What advice would you give?

TG: 'Have a plan B!  Music is lovely and fun but you have to take it seriously.'

Tony Goff is designed and destined for success. There’s no doubt that he has his head and dream in the clouds, but feet firmly on the ground.  I am so grateful for the time spent doing this interview and I look forward to seeing him create a stir in the music scene and hear the crowds chanting his name.





No comments:

Post a Comment