Friday 16 August 2013

Hip Hop Beyond Beats and Rhymes

A documentary by Bryon Hurt


                                                          "Have you seen a  Hollywood Movie?"

A few weeks ago, I was granted a wonderful opportunity to discuss all things hip hop with one of our members. He is a strong believer in wanting to create a hip hop revolution that doesn’t involve violence, masculinity or sexism.

At first I disagreed that hip hop culture was based on this as I am a lover of old school hip hop, such as Ugly Duckling, Sage Francis and A Tribe Called Quest and the reason for my chosen artist has been because I find the lyrics beautiful and universally friendly. This might come as a surprise to most of you as I am pretty much a girly girl, but my music taste is quite eclectic. 

It bothered me in the sense as what I saw and heard from these artists, was very different from what was actually being said. I never took offence to lyrics, nor guns used as a sign of masculinity, so I did some research and I came across this amazing documentary by Bryon Hurt called “Hip Hop- Beyond Beats and Rhymes” It came to my attention that one of the topics was how Hollywood movies have blunted our perception of what is the norm.

Watch the first part of this amazing documentary (they come in a series) and share your thoughts and feelings about this topic with me.

X
Romy




Join our community for free and get a share in the company www.beonthescene.com/referral/

No comments:

Post a Comment