Tuesday 9 April 2013

A little bit of Feng Shui











A little while back, I found myself having to work from home. The idea was exciting at first, but I soon realized how hard it was to create the space I need. I soon became creatively stiff. I tried going out and doing things in the city, to find the energy I needed to sit down and do the mundane admin, but this just became a distraction or an excuse. However, not being in the position to work elsewhere, I became anxious to change it around; I turned to the ancient art of Feng Shui- at this point i was desperate so nothing was to extreme.  I was going to solve my problem the best way I know how…through creativity.

 Feng Shui, the very image of spending hours moving furniture around and turning it into what resembles a yoga studio pop in to my head . Contrary to popular belief, it’s more about a state of mind and the effect the Feng Shui energy has on your intended space. That sure said a lot for the inner workings of my head.

I wanted to share a brief summary of my experience with you as it worked for me. I was writing again, i was finding things i never would of had the patience to look for. I was singing- I don’t do very often as I consider myself lacking in the nicest possible way, tone, but someone once said to me that singing was a sign of being happy and content, regardless if you are hitting the right notes. I found I was able to work more effectively as I knew where everything was and that there was a general feel of flow. I know they say that theirs beauty amongst the chaos, but my chaos was getting out of hand, so maybe it’s now “method behind the madness”

Here’s how I did it.
“The ideal Feng Shui planning of a creative space will be able to hold both rhythms, because the creative process has both rhythms - the germination/dreaming/planning time and the actual manifestation time.”
If you are setting up your creative space, be it a recording room, rehearsal space or drawing studio you need to cultivate a different type of energy, a more vibrant one to support the creativity flow.Ones home has seem to become a place to drop your things and keep moving. not enough importance is placed on how it makes you feel when you walk in.
Let’s get the idea, that you are living in London and like most travelers, you share your space. If I look around my “space” I see Books, magazines, ashtrays, reminders of the fact I should grab a cloth and some Preen. The daunting task looms ahead. But I’ll give it a go,

I started with the obvious, I threw out all things lying around that I promised myself would have a place, you know? those quirky clippings from magazines, that event flyer I was adamant I was going to go to, the napkin i wrote down a brilliant idea on and never put it to action. I then swept, polished and shined 'til I could see my reflection in the hardwood floor.  

Now, London in the winter may have certain disadvantages such as not being able to be one with nature so the closest thing I was able to do was bring my pride and joy and the only plant I haven’t killed, inside from the cold and place it view of my work space. You could do this with anything that is a reminder of the outside world. A collection of interesting stones or crystals can do the job.
If you are an artist, hang collections of your work that bring the feel of movement in, hang your favorite piece of work as a vision of the end goal. If you are a musician, play your music to create an atmosphere, with the mindset that it is still work.
Clearly organize all the tools you need. Sort out any messy cables from your instruments and laptop.

Create a clearly defined "no-rules" area. Make it as big or as small as your space allows and let it contain various items you deem necessary with no restrictions. The only rule, though, is to revise and clean this area at regular intervals.

To sum it up, the Feng Shui of a creative space will evoke the same energy that describes the creative process - the balance between the quiet energy of dream and the full bloom of active, strong manifestation.
By applying basic Feng Shui tips and guidelines you will strengthen the Feng Shui flow of creative energy and create a Feng Shui space to support, as well as promote, your brilliant creativity!
let me know how you get on or if you have any other advice that would feel will help our members, feel free to comment.
 
Romy


No comments:

Post a Comment