Friday 12 April 2013

Rolling with the punches





That awkward moment when you are on stage, the lights are blinding and all eyes are on you... you dropped a note, or you messed up your lines. Not to worry, some of the best moments in the history of film have been created due to the art of improvisation.

The Wiki definition states that improvisation is the practice of reacting in the moments and in response to the stimulus of one’s immediate environment and inner feelings. This can result in the invention of new thought patterns and new ways to perform. A director’s dream.

I remember I did an audition in film school and the rehearsal space consisted of two key people. The scriptwriter and my lecturer.  I had rehearsed for weeks for this part when unfortunately for me; our school was doing a show around for future students. About 60 of them. They knocked on the door and asked if they could watch the audition take place. Inside, I started to panic; I got this hot cold sweat and thought I was going to throw up. Here’s me, trying to nail this audition and I felt like I wanted to run away. The professional in me spoke and welcomed them in. there was this moment when the lights dimmed and all eyes were on me. You could hear a pin drop. I started to speak, but realized I forgot all my lines.  Needless to say, I improvised; I went way off script as I couldn’t remember my direction. I was nervous and felt like I failed before I had even started. None the less, I took what I did know and that was to think on my feet. I belted out a performance from one of my favorite movies and presto, I got through two minutes of purgatory. Needless to say, I didn’t get the part and the scriptwriter- bless her soul and who will not be named, looked as if I had butchered her work of art. However, I did get a standing applause and full marks for my ability to perform under pressure.

The clip above is a collection of the greatest cinematic moments in history where actors had to improvise. Please note those who are offended by strong use of language, might not want to watch.

Hope you enjoy and feel free to share any of your stories with us.

Romy

No comments:

Post a Comment